Thursday, April 24, 2008

Chocolate Panini

A few people have asked me about my cooking segments on the morning show "Better", so I thought that I would explain further. I do the cooking segments once or twice a month, and get to cook a variety of easy and delicious recipes. As of last month I am now officially the "Entertaining Editor", which means that I get a nifty title on the screen when I do the segments.

This chocolate panini is what I made yesterday, although the segment aired this morning. The video can be seen here. Let me know if for some reason the link doesn't work.

So for those of you that want to make these chocolaty babies at home, it couldn't be simpler. I like to spread some organic nut butter (almond or peanut butter) on a nice rustic bread. Then I pile on chocolate, whether semisweet or dark, broken bars or chocolate chips. For the segment I used Maranatha nut butters , organic chocolate (vegan, of course) and Sunspire chocolate chips. Oh yeah, and a little Earth Balance too. Oh, and banana if you like.

If you don't like nut butter or you are allergic, no problem. Just omit it and you will have a super-duper melty chocolate panini!

Lightly spread the outside of the sandwich with a touch of Earth Balance and cook on a panini grill or in a heavy skillet. Cook the panini until the chocolate is melted and the bread is nicely toasted. Serve the panini warm, preferably with a glass of hazelnut milk.

Filled with chocolate and nut butter


Ready to grill

Now I just have to decide what I'm going to make for next month's segment. Hmmm, any suggestions?

Oh, and before I forget, we have a couple of new segments on everyday dish. Whole grain blueberry orange pancakes and chocolate chip orange biscotti. Both recipes are yum!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who needs nutella? Yum!!

VEGAN TICKLES said...

WOW!!!
I need to make this fast.

Anonymous said...

this looks beautifully tempting! too bad I already had breakfast.
wait, you're on a show called "Better"? I think they just started airing that on the local station!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Can I come over for chocolate paninis?! hehe.

MeloMeals said...

oh my god.. You have outdone yourself with these... simply perfect!

I have to come back when I have more time and watch your segments.. how cool!!

urban vegan said...

You're s superstar!

Chocolate pannini sound great to me. I also love 'em with Chocoreale (vegan nutella!).

Picks Over Peas said...

This looks dangerously easy to make, especially when I'm craving chocolate baked goods but don't feel like baking ;-)

Unknown said...

Wow, this will totally satisfy my love of grilled sandwiches and chocolate!!

robotslingshot said...

OMG, this looks fantastic. Thanks for the reminder that chocolate can be lunch!

Paula

Shellyfish said...

I love to come visit your blog from time to time, but this is a funny coiencidence... I live in France, and folks walking down the streets munching panini is a common sight, but in the past three days I have spotted a dozen lycée-aged munchers with chocolate panini in hand (and mouth)! They of course were eating a certain well-known french chocolate spread, but yours look better!

Animal-Friendly said...

Ooey, gooey chocolate with nut butter on toasted bread- YUM!

I just watched the pancakes segment on Everyday Dish and the flavor combo of blueberries and orange sounds delicious. It makes me want some now!

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm! Looks amazing! I'll have to walk 2 more km just for looking at that panini LOL

spiceislandvegan said...

Wow, Julie, you are a star now! Congratulations! You look good on TV and those chocolate panini looks sooo goood!

Thanks for the easy but good recipes!

Wheeler's Frozen Dessert said...

I remember when I was in high school (my pre-vegan days!) I would come home from class and spread nutella over a couple pieces of bread and snack on those... But wow these look so much better!!!! And way healthier, too. Delicious! ;)

Diz Rivera said...

Congrats on the spot and title, Julie! Awesome. You look great.

And forget about it with the chocolate paninis - they look unbelievable. I'm gonna show Maya and Mina how to make these immediately. Btw, I bought a Soybella and made my first batch of soy milk this morning. I'm stoked! Thanks so much for the great post about that, and I can't wait to make almond milk.

JENNA said...

that panini looks divine! time to break out my panini machine...

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

My daughter just asked me if I wanted a panini grill for Mother's Day. (Because SHE wants to play with it!) Hmmm... maybe I DO want one now...

Vegan_Noodle said...

OMG these look so good. I want one for breakfast right now!