Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Great Quick Dinner

I have a ton of cookbooks (probably close to 500 or so, I Know!), and although I love reading them, I tend to cook off the cuff most nights (a pinch of this, a pinch of that...). But recently I made a pact with myself to try some new recipes from these awesome books.

What you see above, was a recipe that I tried the other night. The book is Tofu Cookery, 25th Anniversary Edition by Louise Hagler. I adapted the recipe for Chinese Sweet-And-Sour-Balls, adding garlic, fresh ginger and sriracha sauce. I also omitted the sauce, because I wanted to dip the tofu balls in hoisin sauce. Next time I'll try the sweet and sour sauce. These were delicious! My family gobbled them up, and asked me to make them more often. Yum!

I'm not going to post the recipe, because I'm not sure about copyrights with the book. But if you have this book, or have thought about getting it, this is an awesome recipe. Although they were round like small meatballs, they had a very different texture.They were delicate, with a great flavor and unusual at the same time. The sauce that we dipped them in was a mix of hoisin and sriracha sauces.

Unfortunately I didn't get a pic of the finished dish, as everyone dug into them so quickly they dissapeared. The picture above is what they looked like before being baked. Cute, aren't they?

On a different note, I put up a review of some awesome new ice cream on Everyday Dish. Go check it out!

13 comments:

tofufreak said...

500 cookbooks! nice :D

Mmm.. those tofu balls look great!

crystal said...

looks good! i need to get that book :]

oh, and i absolutely adore coconut milk ice cream! i buy a brand called coconut bliss. so good!

JohnP said...

I love this book and Louise Hagler! (And my most recent post is about one of her recipes too!) In Tofu Cookery, the recipes that immediately come to mind are the Korean BBQ Tofu and the sprout salad.

KitteeBee said...

hey julie!
i have tofu cookery from one of the first editions, and this is one of the recipes i make the most from her book. her carrot cake is amazing too, i usually add cardamom and chopped crystalized ginger to it, but it's the best i've ever had.

also, i would d.i.e. happy to see a few shots of your cookbooks. i thought i had a lot.

xo
kittee

Tami said...

This is the very first tofu dish that I ever liked.. and it stayed that way for years.

Nate @ House of Annie said...

500 cookbooks? color me impressed.

Anonymous said...

500 COOKBOOKS!?! I have like 15 and I'm already overwhelmed! Thats probably only because I have so many delicious dished I have to make from the blogging world.


That dinner looks amazing, I love tofu!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Mmm, looks delicious!

Unknown said...

I love this recipe too, having grown up with this cookbook. The sauce is delicious!

I find that my tofu balls don't always stay together that well. Baking, as opposed to frying, helps, but even then they often crumble. Did you have this problem? Or did you do anything differently? Yours look nice and solid, to me.

julie hasson said...

Thanks! Yes, I really do have way too many cookbooks. Now I feel like I need to count them again. During our last move, I gave away a bunch, because we didn't have enough space.

Hi bronwen m. I actually didn't have any trouble with them holding together. I did a couple of different things though. One, I baked them on Silpat silcone baking mats, without oil, and they really didn't stick. I also added the flour called for in the recipe, plus a tablespoon of ground flax seed. I think the combo really helped keep them together. Finally, I used a small cookie scoop to shape them. It seemed to work really well and quickly.

Bex said...

I've been eyeing this book, I might just have to get it now

Judy's Nutrition said...

500 cookbooks?! Holy Cow!

ernie Lee said...

You have blocked any comments I make in YouTube. This is a very dangerous for the health of VEGANS. SOY products are not at all healthy and this needs to be pointed out to ALL. In particular. eating over-processed TOFU products has been linked with thyroid diseases.
Hope you may change your ruling on anti vegan criticism. I welcome you posting to my video-
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ_dYgWQw-c
and contacting me at
erniemac@

Thanking you in advance.
Ernie Lee